Job no: 499299 Position type: Full-Time 12-Month Department: 060700 - Electrical and Computer Engineering Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Professional Position Open Date: Sep 13 2019
Salary Grade/Minimum Salary:
Postdoctoral Associate (Eng) (P1838 - UC)
The department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Mississippi State University consists of 23 faculty members, 8 professional and support staff, and over 580 undergraduate and approximately 107 graduate students, with over 65 being at the Ph.D. level. The department also houses the High Voltage Laboratory, the largest High Voltage Laboratory among North American Universities.
Area of Specialization:
Wireless Communication; Unmanned Aerial Systems
Anticipated Appointment Date:
November 1, 2019
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The individual to be hired will be expected to conduct research activities in advanced wireless communication with unmanned aerial systems (UAS) and lead the development, testing and maintenance of open-source software for software-defined radio (SDR) platforms. The individual hired will actively participate in the deployment of commercial-grade 5G radio systems and SDRs for a large-scale outdoor testbed with ground and aerial vehicles, engage with users, developers, researchers, industry and communities, and support remote testbed access and experiments.
1. Develop, test, and maintain advanced open-source software waveforms and protocols for SDRs.
2. Benchmark and enhance existing open-source software projects for 4G, 5G, and Beyond 5G SDR implementation.
3. Design, architect, and deploy an outdoor testbed in cooperation with a multi-university R&D team and project stakeholders.
4. Develop a UAS software radio and experimental wireless research community and actively engage with participants to grow the community.
5. Collect, analyze, and interpret data; prepare statistical and narrative reports and/or graphs, as appropriate to the specific position; prepare manuscripts for publication; present research results to scientific conferences and other groups.
6. Follow the project plan and regularly meet and coordinate with the research team. Meet to present and discuss progress, milestones and research directions.
7. Maintain knowledge base of relevant state-of-the-art technology, equipment, and/or systems.
8. Assist in the writing and submission of new research proposals.
9. May lead, guide, and train staff/student employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work; may participate in the recruitment of volunteers, as appropriate to the area of operation.
10. Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
PhD Degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering or equivalent Experience with software radios, modern wireless protocols and multicarrier waveforms.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
Preference will be given to individuals with a background or experience with: * 4G LTE or 5G New Radio * Cloud Radio Access Network principles and practical deployments * Massive MIMO technology * Radio frequency (RF) front ends and RF engineering * Mm-wave RF systems * Cognitive radio * Wireless security * Software radio development and testing * Software development and maintenance * Wireless testbeds and RF testing Experience post-Ph.D. in advanced wireless communications research, development, and testing and a track record of publishing high-quality research manuscripts in important journals is also desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong communication and writing skills and the ability to function effectively in a team environment is required.
Instructions for Applying:
All applicants must apply online http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, copy of your transcript(s) and the complete contact information for at least three professional references. Any social security number included on requested transcripts should be redacted prior to submitting online.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ethnicity, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, disability status, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 499299
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/