Job no: 502843 Position type: Part-Time 12-Month Department: 060700 - Electrical and Computer Engineering Location: Main Campus - Starkville, MS Categories: Faculty Position Open Date: Jul 20 2021
The position of Assistant Research Professor is a non-tenure track position and will be under the administrative supervision of the Head of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) with specific direction by Dr. Vuk Marojevic, Associate Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering. The main duties of the individual are to conduct research in artificial intelligence (AI)-enhanced wireless communications. The chosen candidate will actively participate in the design and development of an enhanced Open Radio Access Network (ORAN) platform, AI controllers, and a testing framework for 6G research (https://sites.google.com/msstate.edu/oaic). He/She will engage with researchers, developers, industry, educators, and diverse local and global communities. The individual will be compensated from research contracts.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Mississippi State University consists of 23 faculty members (including 7 endowed professors), 3 clinical faculty, 10 professional and support staff, and over 700 undergraduate and graduate students with approximately 88 being at the Ph.D. level. With research expenditure of the department in excess of $10M, the department houses the largest High Voltage Laboratory among North American Universities. The university is in Starkville, a vibrant community located in northeast Mississippi. For more detailed information on the department please visit our website www.ece.msstate.edu
Anticipated Appointment Date:
August 16, 2021
Tenure Track Status:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Design, architect, and develop a software framework for 6G research on ORAN platforms and SDR/PAWR testbeds in collaboration with a multi-university R&D team and project stakeholders.
2. Develop and test AI algorithms for advanced wireless communications systems and protocols.
3. Provide research reports in appropriate technical forums, including technical conferences and referred journals. Compile technical reports for users and stakeholders.
4. Meet with the scientific and broader communities to discuss 6G technology and research directions.
5. Assist in the supervision of student researchers.
6. Assist in the writing and submission of new research proposals.
7. Take part in professional development events in the Bagley College of Engineering.
8. Other duties as assigned.
* PhD degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, or equivalent. * Experience with software development, artificial intelligence, and wireless communications.
ABDs or degree pending considered (all but DISS):
* Research or development experience post-graduation. * Track record of publishing high-quality research manuscripts in important journals. * Experience with o 4G LTE or 5G New Radio, o Software radio software, such as srsRAN or OpenAirInterface, o Open Radio Access Network (ORAN), o The 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP) specifications, o Radio frequency (RF) front ends and RF engineering, o Artificial intelligence and machine learning principles and implementations, o Software development, maintenance, and testing, o Wireless testbeds and testing.
Interested candidates must apply at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter, current resume or curriculum vitae, and the complete contact information for at least three professional references.
This position is contingent upon the availability of funding.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
Internal Number: 502843
About Mississippi State University
Mississippi State University represents the highest level of research activity for doctorate-granting institutions and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation as an R1-Very High Research Activity University. Also, a National Science Foundation “Top 100” research University, MSU shelters a chapter of Phi Beta Kappa, the nation’s oldest and most prestigious honor society, and values the talents of our distinguished faculty, staff, and student scholars. Here, a culture of inclusion is fostered and we’re driven each day to make a difference at the local, state, regional, national and global levels. At Mississippi State University we invite you to join us as we continue our momentum in research, teaching, and service.
To apply, please go to http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/